29 March 2010

Credo - Part I

Credo - "I believe".  We all say it at Mass, but how often are we called-upon to declare what we believe - or why we believe it's true?

I had a conversation recently with a former colleague and he was basically asking me that question - why do I believe what I believe and do what I do?  Why do I believe in God?  Why am I a Catholic instead of something else?  Why in particular do I strive to practice the Faith in a decidedly traditional orientation?

It's actually something that I've given some thought to in the past, so I was prepared to answer him in a fairly succinct fashion - well, succinct for me - as opposed to one of my interminable diatribes.  Anyway, I thought the substance of it might make a good blog post, especially during Holy Week.

Ok, here goes:

It's easy to say that we "believe" in God because we were brought-up to do so, but rote learning can only take one so far.  In my case I fell away from the Church when I was in my late teens, although I never consciously stopped believing.  It was only when I began my journey back that I sometimes dared to question the existence of God.  As I said, this is a succinct explanation so I am not going to elaborate upon every step and mis-step I took along the way, I'm just going to tell you why I believe now.
  1. I believe because of the evidence of my senses.  Throughout my life I have observed in nature a marvelous complexity and consistency which has convinced me that a higher power or intelligence was responsible for its design and creation.  The catchy term for that these days is "intelligent design".
  2. I am further convinced by the Proofs for the Existence of God which St. Thomas Aquinas proposed in his Summa Theologicae.  This great saint distilled the arguments in favor of God's existence into five beautifully simple yet utterly convincing propositions which made complete sense to me, and I only wished I had been introduced to them at an early age.  Faith can be completely rational!
  3. I believe because of miracles.  Science cannot explain miraculous images such as that of the crucified Jesus on the Shroud of Turin or the color representation of Our Lady of Guadaloupe on the famous tilma of Juan Diego.  Indeed, modern scientfic technologies have actually validated the inexplicability of these phenomena.  Science cannot explain the many well-documented cures which the Church has recognized as genuine after exhaustive invstigations.  Science cannot explain the "Miracle of the Sun" which was witnessed by tens of thousands of people in Fatima on 13 October 1917.  Et cetera. 
  4. I believe because I believe that God has at certain times answered my prayers.  This is entirely subjective but since I am only accounting for my own belief and not that of others I consider it valid.
Of course there are lots of other little things, but those are the ones which are capable of  concise explanation.  Perhaps some or all of these would fail to convince certain individuals, but my intent isn't really apologetic here.  I just think it's an interesting exercise to try and quantify why one believes what one believes.

To avoid having one big, overly long post, I will end here for now, and pick up with "Why I am a Catholic" in Part II.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allan,

    Just wanted to let you know I really am here reading! Great post...so much in this past year has shown me the true existence of God and his amazing power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys, I can't believe Wendy told you about my blog! Glad you're enjoying it, it is a great outlet for me so I don't harangue herself all of the time!

    Pax et bonum!

    ReplyDelete