25 March 2013

America in 2013 - Signs of the Times

Had to run over to one of the big home improvement stores on Saturday morning to rent a tool. There were a few dozen cars in the parking lot, but for a decent Saturday morning in the Springtime it was practically deserted. Inside, the folks doing various product demos were begging the few customers to stop at their displays, and the cashiers were standing aorund chatting with each other. When I left and got back on the highway, I noticed that traffic heading in the opposite direction was backed-up for over a mile. My first thought: thank Heaven, I must have just missed whatever it was that was causing the backup.

So what was the reason, and why does it matter? Well, I saw some temporary signs by the side of the highway: "Gun Show - 10-6 Saturday". The venue was accessed from the same exit as the home improvement store. That explained the unusual traffic.

When I returned my rental tool in the early afternoon the traffic had abated, but the store was nearly as deserted. Welcome to Act II Scene I of Obama's America. The great American pastime of "D.i.Y" goes neglected in the stagnant economy, meanwhile the citizenry rush to arm themselves to the teeth. Draw your own conclusions...

No comments:

Post a Comment