05 February 2010

To quote J.F.K...

(...and I don't mean John Forbes Kerry...)

John F. Kennedy famously dismissed Richard Nixon in 1960 with the remark: "no class". His late little (well, younger) brother's support for Barack H. Obama notwithstanding, does anyone have a doubt that he'd pass a similar judgment on our 44th president?

Earlier this week, at the National Prayer Breakfast, the President mispronounced the word 'corpsman' as "corpse-man" - not once, but twice. (according to some sources he's done it more than twice, but that's all I saw on t.v.) My five-year-old makes mistakes like this when reading unfamiliar words, but my eight- and eleven-year olds manage to handle the word "corps" - as in "Marine Corps" or "Peace Corps"without breaking a sweat.

Question: What kind of adult (reading something relating to the freakin' military for heaven's sake) mispronounces that word?

Answer: Someone who is far too ignorant to be President of the United States and Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces. Exclamation point.

Question: Where were you people when he was running for president in 2008?

Answer: Bush lied, people died. BusHitlerChimpy is stupid, and he's an evil genius. And Cheney too. And the Halliburton hurricane machine blew away New Orleans. And we needed to have a black president. And he went to Harvard. And he's way cool. Etc.

Right.

I remember how many of my friends in the military were agonizing about re-enlisting during the Clinton years. They are - and I am - thoroughly nostalgic for the Clinton presidency these days! And if you feel the same way the foregoing will only make you even more nostalgic for the salad days of "Slick Willy":

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Obama-She-insisted-shes-going-to-be-buried-in-an-Obama-t-shirt-83645132.html

Again - no class. What kind of man talks like this, never mind the President of the United States? As an American I'm just plain ashamed. And for those amongst my friends who invested so much of their own emotion in the idea that this guy was either one of them, or someone who transcended politics, race, and everything else that invariably divides us, or was just a superior candidate to that grumpy old maverick-moderate sorta-kinda-conservative war hero; my condolences.

And I hate to say it, but I told you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment